By now we all know that it doesn’t matter how great your training plan is if your nutrition is garbage. But knowing what to eat isn’t enough, you’ve got to have the necessary tools to execute the plan.
Just like there are essentials for a gym, there are essentials for the kitchen. And ‘tis the season for rock bottom prices. If you’re looking to empower your meal prep, check these items out as you hit up the Black Friday sales. I’ve given three options for each “tool” depending on what type of budget you’re working on. While the more expensive items may have more features, the “essential” choices are still highly effective in fulfilling the needs of a Power Athlete. And in true Power Athlete form, we’ve sifted through all the bullshit for you and came up with this short list of equipment. I don’t have direct links for you, but have you heard of Amazon?
If you can only grab one gadget this year, make it an Instant Pot. Highly functional and great for batch cooking staple foods. This is our overall pick if you can find a Black Friday steal.
- Essential: Duo 7-in-1
- Optional: Duo Plus 9-in-1
- You got money to burn: Ultra 10-in-1
If you’ve got your Instant Pot and are wanting to take the next step, especially when it comes to making homemade dressings, condiments, and flours, where do you turn? Enter: the food processor.
- Essential: Hamilton Beach 70450 8-Cup Food Processor
- Optional: Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor
- You got money to burn: Breville Sous Chef 12
Think about all of your food prepping? How often are you cutting, slicing, or chopping foods? The chef’s knife is the barbell of the kitchen. Sure, a cheap beater bar can get the job done, but there is nothing like the deep knurl of a powerlifting bar digging into your hands as you pull a deadlift PR.
- Essential: Kai for Williams-Sonoma Santoku Knife
- Optional: Wüsthof Classic Chef’s Knife 6”
- You got money to burn: Miyabi Birchwood Chef’s Knife 6”
- You got money to donate? Get this one of a kind Chef's knife from Black Custom Knives at the Power Athlete Symposium's Not-So-Silent Auction!
All Mixed Up
While it may seem like something for bakers alone, the attachments for a Kitchen-Aid Mixer will allow you to do things like make your own pasta (or zoodles) and grind your own meat. Giving you even more control of the processing your food goes through.
- Essential: Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- Optional: Artisan Series 5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- You got money to burn: Pro Line Series 7 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer
Is coffee a macro? Does it fall into a ROYGBIV? No. But if you’re like me, you enjoy a nice cup of joe. Whether you’re new to the brew or you’re a quad-shot Americano kinda person, we’ve got something for you.
- Novice Barista: Kalita Wave 185
- Advanced Barista: Hario V60
- Man meets Machine: Aeropress
Listen, you’ve gotta have the right gear to play the game. Would you step on the field without a helmet? Think of the tools listed here as the necessary equipment to truly empower your performance in the kitchen. With the choices above, you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck. Gear your kitchen up for 2019 and take your nutrition game to the next level. If you’ve got the gear but don’t know what to do, check out the links below to get started.
Currently, Ben's feet are on dry land as he has shifted his focus towards empowering athletes in the weight room. Drawing from experience as an endurance athlete, Ben enjoys the challenge of applying the principles of the Power Athlete Methodology to non-traditional Power Athletes.
Latest posts by Ben Skutnik (see all)
- The Female Athlete Triad - March 9, 2019
- Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself: Accountability in the Kitchen - March 2, 2019
- Equip Your Kitchen For Success - February 26, 2019