Steve, Denny and Luke celebrate their skype friendship as they roll out Episode 25 of Power Athlete Radio. Sit back and enjoy as the guys talk Wade’s Army, Soviet vs Bulgarian methods, plyos and vertical jumps. It’s mid day Friday, it’s time to get your PA Radio on and enjoy the weekend!
- 0:00 Intro and opening
- 6:07 NorCal Team Series Recap
- 12:27 Wade’s Army
- 17:48 Soviet vs Bulgarian Training system
- 41:09 Blake asks: How can I increase my vert?
- 52:20 Closing
Blake Keefe asks:
What lifts directly help increase your vertical jump? or What accessory work can be done to help increase my vertical jump?
Current Vertical = 24″
Goal Vertical= 30″+
Beginner’s Plyo Template
- 2 x 10 Pogo Jumps
- 3 x 5 Prison style squat jumps – single response, from pause at bottom of quarter squat
- 3 x 5 Rocket Jump – single response, from pause at bottom of quarter squat
- 3 x 10 High Skip (5R / 5L) – HEIGHT – take your time going for HEIGHT!!!
- 3 x 10 Low Skip (5R / 5L) – ARM DRIVE AND SPEED
- 2 x 6 lunge jump – from a planted lunge position (knee on ground), jump straight up, switch foot orientation, catch in split jerk position (3R / 3L)
- 2 x 6 scissor jump – from a planted lunge position (knee on ground), jump straight up, bring feet together under hips, return to starting orientation catching in split jerk position (3R / 3L)
- 3 x 4 tuck jumps – multiple response, in place
Test vertical now. Complete 1 round after warm up, and before strength 2 days for 4 weeks. Retest. Let me know how it goes. It should go without saying that you are trying to jump as high as you can every rep. If you don’t know what something is, Google it!
A strength and conditioning coach since 2009, Cali has worked with numerous athletes spanning from rugby players to cross country skiers. Almost immediately after finding CrossFit in 2010, she was introduced to a program that better suited her athletic goals. With her existing background in powerlifting and football, she became a natural devotee to CFFB/PowerAthlete and testament to it's effectiveness. In 2012, she left D.C. and headed for the state named after her to be a part of the CrossFit Football Seminar Staff and a Jedi of Power Athlete HQ. Cali currently resides in Seattle where she works full time in law enforcement.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Never miss out on an epic blog post or podcast, drop your email below and we’ll stay in-touch.