The Power Athlete Radio crew gets deep into how they would recommend followers of their program start adjusting their training (if they haven't already) for the 2014 CrossFit Games Open. On top of that, find out a little bit about considerations for coaching baseball players int he weight room, and find out what the future of PowerAthleteHQ.com holds in store for Power Athlete Nation!
DID YOU KNOW… that Power Athlete now streams their podcasts live via Google+? Head over to Power Athlete’s Google+ Page and +1 it, and then keep your eyes peeled for their Live Hangout next week! Don’t miss out on live Q&A, and the live experience!
- 0:00 Intro & Opening
- 2:20 Luke & Tex, How was Ireland?
- 12:10 Masen asks, Can we get an update on PAHQ.com Update?
- 33:45 2014 CrossFit Games Open strategies
- 47:12 Open WOD During CFFB week?
- 56:34 Taylor asks, Considerations for Baseball Athletes with CFFB?
- 1:02:06 Closing
Masen Mills Asks:
On the next podcast, can you guys talk more about the premium content that CFFB is planning? I'm sure not all the cats can be let out of the bag, but I'm curious as to what the change will be. Any ideas on membership fees? Will the regular CFFB WODs still be available for those who wish not to become a premium member? Will more warm-up stuff be included in a premium membership? Thanks again for all the free content!
Prepping for the 2014 CrossFit Open
Things to be sure you are hitting some "3 x max rep" skill work on post workout:
- Kipping Pull Ups
- Wall ball
- Double Unders
- Light weight (75s - 115lb) snatches
- Middle weight (115lbs - 165lb) snatches
- Middle weight thrusters (95lbs to 135lbs)
Be sure you are matching pushes and pulls with the given training day
Things to start ramping up volume on:
- Overhead pressing and pulling strength work
Pairing the CrossFit Open with CrossFit Football training
- Hit extended workouts on Saturdays
- Identify your weakness and determine whether you should skip a squat day, or pull day to work on higher volume strength work.
Things to consider:
- Elevated stress levels of competition increase risk of injury and decision making
- Increased volume of CrossFit Games Open WODs and Volume training WILL drive a "de-training" effect on your strength and power if you are a dedicated CrossFit Football Program follower.
I have my first opportunity to implement programming on the men's base ball team at my university, any tips on exercises to avoid? also should I start all the athletes on amateur progression to begin with to test who is able to handle collegiate programming?
Platek's New Ink
Latest posts by Luke Summers (see all)
- PA Radio – Episode 237: Brett Bartholomew - December 14, 2017
- 2016 Superhero Smackdown – Toretto Takes Down Hobbs - July 27, 2016
- 2016 Superhero Smackdown – Round 3 Results - July 21, 2016