Power Athlete presents a build your guide to building your own 4-Way Physio-board. Effective training tools do not have to come from a retailor. Many are available at your local hardware store, and all you need are instructions. This easy to build, cost effective piece of equipment needs to be a part of every coach’s toolkit.
First seen in our Power Ankle article, the 4-Way Physio-board is an invaluable tool for targeting many of an athlete’s limiting factors in their lower body. Adductors and abductors, internal and external rotators, and many more crucial pieces to hip and ankle movement can be targeted, stabilized and strengthened.
Power Athlete will be delivering the movements and programs to attack those limiting factors, and this simple build your own weekend project will be all you need!
Prep Time: 60-90 Minutes
Supplies Cost: $15 per 4-Way Board
1x 2”x 8”x 8’ long, pressure treated
8x 8” 5/16 Laundry Line Hooks
16x 5/16 Washer
16x 5/16 Bolt
14x 3” Deck Screws
1. Measure 48” of the 2”x8” and cut the board in half for both pieces needed to build the 4-Way Board. (1:00)
2. Measure cuts for indentions of top block. First line is 10” off the edge, and indention is 4” wide. Measure 10” and a 4” indention off the opposite edge and cut. (1:30) Three top pieces will measure 10”, 20”, and 10”.
3. Measure holes for the hooks on each of the top pieces. On each of the outside blocks, measure 2” from the edge for the laundry line hook. On the 20” block, measure 8.5” for each edge for the 2 center hooks. (2:30)
4. Secure top pieces on top of long board, and drill holes for all four hooks through both boards. (3:20) Bore bigger holes on the bottom board using an 1 inch boring bit to allow for hook height adjustments and easy top board replacements.
5. Secure all 4 hooks into the top pieces with a washer and bolt on each side. (3:55)
6. Prime the holes for the deck screws and then secure all three of the top boards to bottom. (5:45) We suggest 4 screws on the end pieces, and 6 for the middle piece.
7. Apply physio-bands and move!
MS, CSCS, SCCC, CHES
Book a consult with me regarding coaching, training, life, education... anything your heart desires. Click below:
Former collegiate lacrosse defensive midfielder, 4-year letter winner and 3-year team captain. Coached strength and conditioning collegiately with Georgetown University football, Men's and Women's lacrosse and Women's Crew, as well with the University of Texas at Austin's football program. Apprenticed under Raphael Ruiz of 1-FortyFour-1 studying proper implementation of science based, performance driven training systems. Head coached CrossFit Dupont's program for two years in Washington D.C. Received a Master's in Health Promotion Management from Marymount University in 2010, and has been a coach for Power Athlete since October, 2012.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Never miss out on an epic blog post or podcast, drop your email below and we’ll stay in-touch.