Power Athlete presents a build your guide to building your own 4-Way Physio-board. Effective training tools do not have to come from a retailor. Many are available at your local hardware store, and all you need are instructions. This easy to build, cost effective piece of equipment needs to be a part of every coach’s toolkit.
First seen in our Power Ankle article, the 4-Way Physio-board is an invaluable tool for targeting many of an athlete’s limiting factors in their lower body. Adductors and abductors, internal and external rotators, and many more crucial pieces to hip and ankle movement can be targeted, stabilized and strengthened.
Power Athlete will be delivering the movements and programs to attack those limiting factors, and this simple build your own weekend project will be all you need!
Prep Time: 60-90 Minutes
Supplies Cost: $15 per 4-Way Board
1x 2”x 8”x 8’ long, pressure treated
8x 8” 5/16 Laundry Line Hooks
16x 5/16 Washer
16x 5/16 Bolt
14x 3” Deck Screws
1. Measure 48” of the 2”x8” and cut the board in half for both pieces needed to build the 4-Way Board. (1:00)
2. Measure cuts for indentions of top block. First line is 10” off the edge, and indention is 4” wide. Measure 10” and a 4” indention off the opposite edge and cut. (1:30) Three top pieces will measure 10”, 20”, and 10”.
3. Measure holes for the hooks on each of the top pieces. On each of the outside blocks, measure 2” from the edge for the laundry line hook. On the 20” block, measure 8.5” for each edge for the 2 center hooks. (2:30)
4. Secure top pieces on top of long board, and drill holes for all four hooks through both boards. (3:20) Bore bigger holes on the bottom board using an 1 inch boring bit to allow for hook height adjustments and easy top board replacements.
5. Secure all 4 hooks into the top pieces with a washer and bolt on each side. (3:55)
6. Prime the holes for the deck screws and then secure all three of the top boards to bottom. (5:45) We suggest 4 screws on the end pieces, and 6 for the middle piece.
7. Apply physio-bands and move!
John Welbourn is CEO of Power Athlete and Fuse Move. He is also creator of the online training phenomena, Johnnie WOD. He is a 9 year veteran of the NFL. John was drafted with the 97th pick in 1999 NFL Draft and went on to be a starter for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1999-2003, appearing in 3 NFC Championship games, and for starter for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2004-2007. In 2008, he played with the New England Patriots until an injury ended his season early with him retiring in 2009. Over the course of his career, John has started over 100 games and has 10 play-off appearances. He was a four year lettermen while playing football at the University of California at Berkeley. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in Rhetoric in 1998. John has worked with the MLB, NFL, NHL, Olympic athletes and Military. He travels the world lecturing on performance and nutrition for Power Athlete. You can catch up with John as his personal blog on training, food and life, Talk To Me Johnnie and at Power Athlete.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Never miss out on an epic blog post or podcast, drop your email below and we’ll stay in-touch.