Happy Birthday America! In the short span of a week we got the latest release in the Fast and Furious documentary series AND America’s Holiday, so we brought you some great Patriotic Party recipes designed to turn the dial up to eleven and bring taste and freedom to any get togethers you may be hitting up over the weekend. Yes, like Dom says when you’ve got family you don’t need anything else, but we thought having these in your back pocket couldn’t hurt. Kick up your heels, high five the nearest bald eagle you see, and enjoy the holiday!
Graham cracker crust:
8 gluten free graham crackers, crumbled
½ tsp cinnamon
5 TBS butter (melted)
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 TBS powdered sugar
Zest of one lemon
Additional zest to finish
Start by making your crust.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Get your graham crackers nice and crumbled. Put the graham crackers into a ziplock back, use a rolling pin to roll them out, or you can use your palm/fist to crush them. #BeTheHammer
- Mix the crushed graham crackers, cinnamon, and melted butter in a bowl.
- Press the mixture into a pie pan and bake for approximately 7 minutes to form the crust.
- Mix heavy cream, powdered sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Using a Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk or beaters, whip the cream until it is forming stiff peaks. Start on low, and increase the speed gradually so you do not get the mixture all over your kitchen. This takes about 5 minutes or so.
- THIS IS IMPORTANT: Make sure your crust is completely cooled before you assemble. Otherwise you will end up with melted milk on your crust that you just made.
- Once the crust is cooled, evenly spread the whipped cream to your desired thickness.
- Top with blueberries and sliced strawberries. Zest another lemon on top for a really fresh flavor
I hope you enjoy it! Keep in mind that this is a dairy based pie so you are going to want to keep it refrigerated right up until serving. Dairy and the hot sun do not mix well.
Watermelon and Feta Salad
2 lbs watermelon cut into bite sized pieces
1 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
4o z feta cheese crumbles
3 TBS olive oil
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
2 TBS fresh mint, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, serve chilled!
This salad is so good! It is extremely refreshing and you feel good eating it. This is a nice complement to a 4th of July spread, and it is super easy to prepare. To make things even easier, you can buy pre-cut watermelon. It is a little more pricey, but time is money!
Garden Fresh Bruschetta
4-5 tomatoes seeded and diced
1 medium onion finely chopped
20 basil leaves
2 tsp minced garlic
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Once all of your vegetables are chopped, mix everything together in a large bowl. This is a delicious and refreshing “Italian salsa.” You can put it on gluten free chips, veggies, or on top of your protein!
Let us know how this recipe goes! Load your final product to Instagram and be sure to tag @powerathletehq and #powerathletenutrition #serves1 #powerathletenutritioncoaching
If you are someone who is ready to make the change happen, take back your health, and truly start unlocking your potential, hit us up and we will help guide you to success.
PODCAST: PA Radio EP- 495 Too Young for Creatine and BCAAS?
RECIPE: Easy Peasy Protein Pancakes of Power by Samantha Flaherty
BLOG: Creatine, It’s for Everyone by Rob Exline
BLOG: Fuel Your Fire with Ninja Food Prep by Rob Exline
COACHING: Power Athlete Nutrition Coaching
Samantha has been an athlete since childhood, focusing on gymnastics, track and field, and cross-country. Samantha found CrossFit, and eventually CrossFit Football as a means to continue personal performance and fill a competitive void. These all led her to Power Athlete, the methodology course, and eventually to earning her Block One. She currently works in the greater Raleigh, North Carolina area as a Power Athlete Nutrition Coach and as a Personal Trainer applying the Power Athlete principles with all of her clients.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Never miss out on an epic blog post or podcast, drop your email below and we’ll stay in-touch.