Watch out Power Athlete Nation, this week we got Master Splinter himself to stop by, the Lean Mean Filipino Dream, Raphael Ruiz. We covered some controversial topics like force bleed, the pride of pro athletes and strength and conditioning coaches, Ivan Drago, and sexy training vs. hard work. Not to mention a recap of the Sin City trip and Tex's arm hair.
- 0:00 Intro and Vegas Recap
- 6:06 PAHQ Team Sponsorship
- 9:19 The Man, The Myth, The Legend, Raphael Ruiz
- 12:13 Tex and Raph: The 411 at 1441
- 18:13 Figuring Out What Makes You Suck and Addressing It
- 20:40 Is Your Training Fixing Your Weakness
- 23:07 Force Bleed or Technique: Just Punch Someone In The Face
- 34:16 Advanced Training Without Progression
- 38:02 Lights, Camera, Action, Lets Leave
- 40:27 Max Out or Get about Like Ivan Drago
- 43:18 Pro Athletes and Strength and Conditioning Coaches Impressing The Media
- 46:27 Raph: Where and How It Began
- 50:48 What Is Athleticism
- 1:00:35 Highly Trained or Highly Effective
- 1:08:17 Baby Raph: Infant Training Camp
- 1:10:20 The Essence Of Perfection: Apollo vs. Rocky
- 1:12:17 Closing Thoughts and Plugs
Raphael Ruiz Raphael is the former S&C Coach of John Welbourn and was a heavy influence on the development of the Power Athlete methodology. In 1998 he moved to Tampa, FL where he began working for the TB Buccaneers, the TB Devil Rays Minor League Program, the MLS TB Mutiny and the Clearwater Tennis Academy. His next career step was becoming the Director of S&C for the University of Tampa where he helped to build an athletic program that resulted in 5 National Championships (M-Soccer, W-Soccer, back-to-back M-Baseball and W-Volleyball, including dozens of All-American Swimmers). In addition, they earned one of the lowest prevalence rates of major and catastrophic injuries in all of the NCAA. During his long service with UTampa, Raphael fine-tuned and polished AXIS into an amphibious eXcellence program. It is defined as a dry-land training system specifically focused on the special needs of aquatic athletes required to excel in and out of a competitive pool, open water and Tactical-Rescue theatres. In addition to his 15 years as a S&C coach at the professional and collegiate settings, Raphael started his own company and titled it 1Forty-Four 1. He's been utilizing this training system to coach high level athletes such as Deion Sanders, US Military Spec-Operators, Cullen Jones, Gary Sheffield, Brooke Bennett, Antonio Tarver, Chester McGlockton, Alex Hetland and many more.
In 2008, Raph was an intrical part of the development of CrossFit Football, and traveled the world educating coaches and athletes with what CrossFit Football had to offer.
Are you ready to take your coaching to the next level? Contact Raph and see if you have what it takes for a 90 day internship at 1-forty-four-1 University
An example of "Force Bleed"
Latest posts by Luke Summers (see all)
- PA Radio – Episode 237: Brett Bartholomew - December 14, 2017
- 2016 Superhero Smackdown – Toretto Takes Down Hobbs - July 27, 2016
- 2016 Superhero Smackdown – Round 3 Results - July 21, 2016